Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Secret of Contentment - 8.4.11

Imagine yourself completely satisfied or content for a minute...  It's a pleasant thought isn't it? Contentment isn't something we think about all the time, but it's defined by Merriam-Webster as: "feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation." Is that where you are? Contentment is something we all yearn for, especially in the most unsettled of times. It can often seem out of reach, but it doesn't have to be!
 
Whenever I feel like I am not content in life, I try to remind myself of the Apostle Paul's incredible words in his letter to the Philippian Church. He said, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances, I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want," (Phil. 4:11-12). Isn't that inspiring and humbling all at the same time?!! I think so, especially knowing that Paul was in prison for being a follower of Christ when wrote those words. He wasn't just writing idealistically, he was being honest and he was talking about real life feelings in real life situations. Have you learned the secret of being content like Paul? He unlocked the secret to contentment in verse 13 by following his previous statements with, "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."  

So Jesus Christ is the answer... but how?  Well, the first and most important step is to put your trust in Christ as the forgiver of all your sins and as the leader of your life.  He died for your sins, and he wants to give you new hope and a new life in Him!  If you do this, the Bible says that you will be put back into a right relationship with God, you will spend eternity in Heaven, and you will be given the gift of the Holy Spirit, an advocate, "who will teach you all things and remind you of everything I [Jesus] have said to you," (Jn.14:26). The second step is to begin developing a relationship with God as your father and your friend. As 1 Thessalonians 5:17 instructs us, talk to Him regularly, "pray without ceasing." And last but not least, stay close to God, read your Bible, and don't ever take your focus off of Jesus. "He is the author and perfecter of faith," (Heb.12:2). Like a person who is afraid of heights will get nervous when they look down from a high place, you will begin to lose the peace and contentment a relationship with Christ has brought you when you let your life and your circumstances distract you from all of the good things that God has for you. You really can have the contentment Paul had... It's waiting for you in Christ!

Feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts on any of this below. I'd love to hear from you! If you're reading this on the Reaching You website, please click the blog title in order to comment.

To purchase my book, Life, In Spite of Me, Please Order It From Amazon Here.15% of all proceeds from this link will go to Reaching You Ministries. Thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously think about philippians 4 everyday. I memorized it for masters! Seriously love those verses! God is our state of being content!

    ReplyDelete